NOTE: The audio for the Elsie side of the conversation is pretty AWFUL. Krystal was unable to use headphones so there is a lot of echo from her side #sorry
BUT, Krystal does do most of the talking so it’s totally doable. I was able to make it through to write these shownotes
Have you thought about using Google Hangouts On Air for podcasting?
Since we started Libsyn Live we have had a lot questions about HOW to set up a Google Hangout on Air from other podcasters.
Krystal decided to give you exactly what you asked for!
She had recently done an amazing session at Podcamp Pittsburgh. You can watch ithere.
BUT she also decided to do it again just for our people!
Take a looksie, it’s a step by step for you guys.
Creating a Google Hangout On Air, step by step
Time codes are for the video
- 2:01 Why would podcasters want to do Google Hangouts On Air?
- 3:27 Google Hangout as your podcast “driver” vs a once in a while experience
- 7:50 Elsie shares how Libsyn Live has helped Libsyn and other ideas for using HOA for podcasting
- 10:14 Workflow for setting up a Google Hangouts On Air for yourself – a quick summary
- 12:54 How to schedule a Google Hangout On Air
- 18:20 How to share your HOA with people that are NOT on YouTube
- 19:26 Will HOAs work just as well for a less tech savvy audience?
- 23:45 We don’t do live streaming of any sort through Libsyn
- 25:25 Marketing your Google Hangout On Air
- 28:12 What next after you’ve already scheduled your event?
- 29:00 A walkthrough of using the Q&A feature
- 29:44 The showcase app within HOA
- 30:00 What about the applause app?
- 31:15 Set a trailer for your HOA if you want
- 33:00 what happens when you start an HOA
- 34:40 Krystal tries to get on the call at least 45 minutes before the show to figure things out!
- 35:20 Setting within the HOA, what they mean and how to set them: cameras, microphones, etc.
- 36:20 Change voice to studio!!! MUST SET THIS
- 37:30 How to invite people: which almost never works, so…and what to send your peeps instead
- 41:00 How to add items to the showcase app within HOA
- 42:00 More of a walkthrough of the settings in the back end of your HOA
- 44:55 The hangout toolbox! So cool That’s how you get that cool lower third
- 48:00 We answer some questions from the peeps watching, especially troubleshooting questions
- 51:10 All kinds of in depth details about the Q&A app within the app
- 54:50 Can you explain progressive download? – Krystal answers!
- 1:01:20 What do you do once the hangout is over? Krystal goes through step by step post production workflow!
- 1:06:35 We lost audio bummer
- 1:07:48 The sound is back! Garageband sucked in all the audio!
- 1:10:00 What to do with your HOA after it’s been editing – marketing and promotion of your final product
Links and Resources Mentioned!
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!
If you dug this episode head on over to YouTube and kindly subscribe and give us a thumbs up!
Ways to subscribe to Libsyn Live
FEEDBACK + PROMOTION
You can ask your questions via social media, tag us and use the hashtag #libsynlive!